Sunday, May 19, 2013

Review: The Wise Man's Fear


The Wise Man's Fear
The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Though I enjoyed the first book of the Kingkiller Chronicles, I felt a bit more frustrated while reading A Wise Man’s Fear. The story was set up fairly spectacular in the first book, but I felt that the character languished as he went from adventure to adventure with no real character growth along the way. Things that I felt would now seem petty, like his ongoing conflict with Ambrose, after experiencing war, murder and near death in the fade continue as if their conflict held equal weight. There seems to be a disconnect between the boy in the story and the aged man who is telling the tale of his youth.

Patrick has stated that this will be a three book series but I don’t see how he is going to accomplish this task believable, especially since the main character seems to be stunted in his growth, despite the experiences that would age any other young man.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment